Return to Play Update – July 1, 2021
With the new PHO order in effect, we are now in Step 3 of the BC Return-To-Sport Restart. As life returns to almost pre-pandemic status, we urge everyone to continue to follow the BC health authority’s guidance. We remind you that each municipality may still have different restrictions and limitations for bookings/activity, therefore, please work with your local cities/municipalities to adhere to any requirements to ensure you are providing a safe environment for all participants.
Here is a summary of what the changes mean for our sport:
1) Masks are no longer mandatory indoors. It is recommended that you wear them until you are fully vaccinated, but that is now an individual personal decision.
2) Canada-wide recreational travel is now permitted.
3) Outdoor spectators are allowed, capping at either 5000 or 50% of capacity.
4) Indoor spectators are allowed, capping at either 50 people or 50% of capacity.
5) No maximum group size.
6) No physical distancing recommendation.
What that means for outdoor play is:
- There are no restrictions currently for outdoor play, for either adults or youth.
- Spectators are allowed, up to 5000 people or 50% of the facilities capacity.
Help is always needed. As a ‘participating member’ you can help in many ways. You can have a direct impact on tennis in Vernon by volunteering to coordinate an evening session, a competitive league, or any other program. WE ARE A PUBLIC TENNIS CLUB, AND ALL OUR BOARD MEMBERS AND COORDINATORS ARE VOLUNTEERS. Contact us if you would like to help.
2021 VTA Memberships are available on our website (www.vernontennis.com) . No cheques or cash will be accepted during COVID-19 restrictions. Thank you.
The Vernon Tennis Association (VTA) was started in October 2008 to bring together all tennis players of all skill levels within the Vernon area and to offer both competitive and social programs that are not being offered to players currently.
Presently the VTA operates seasonal adult and children’s programs from April to September in “partnership” with Greater Vernon Parks, Recreation and Culture.
The purpose of the VERNON TENNIS ASSOCIATION is:
- The Vernon Tennis Association shall work towards educating its members and the population of the Greater Vernon area as to the social and physical benefits of playing and supporting tennis.
- The Association will offer professional tennis instruction, tournament play, and league competition to its membership, residents of Greater Vernon, and the surrounding area, as a means of enhancing Community relations in general.
- The Association will provide a legal body to coordinate tennis activities within the community, between other communities, and with tennis organizations such as Tennis BC and Tennis Canada, that have similar interests.
- The Association will also actively encourage and solicit the development of new tennis facilities enabling outreach to more tennis players in the Vernon area.
- The Vernon Tennis Association is incorporated under the Society Act in the Province of British Columbia, Canada. Society # S-54421.