*SPRING JUNIOR TENNIS PROGRAM*
VERNON TENNIS ASSOCIATION/COMMONS RACQUET CLUB
AT PREDATOR RIDGE
SPRING JUNIOR TENNIS PROGRAM
Presented by Instructor Graham Cooper
Joint Program with the VTA and Commons Racquet Club at Predator Ridge
As in the Fall and Winter, the VTA and Predator Ridge are working together in a joint venture to provide the opportunity for young tennis players to take part in the developmental Tennis Canada Program.
The Commons Racquet Club (an indoor tennis facility) at Predator Ridge.
Our spring program will commence on April 20 and conclude on May 27. The program will consist of the following:
- ROGERS ROOKIE TOUR
The tournament will take place at Predator Ridge. While it will show on the Tennis BC website starting at 9:00 am; as we just have two courts the starting and finishing time for each age group will be staggered throughout the day so players and parents will only be there for a couple of hours. Once the entries are in, all players will be notified as to when they will play and the approximate time their matches will take. Obviously, the time an age group will take will depend on the number of entries.
- HOW TO ENTER THE ROGERS ROOKIE TOUR
To register please use the following link. This will put you to the Tennis BC website: https://tc.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament?id=B4D9B484-08F3-4D5A-ADF6-4156A085B23E
You will need to create a “log-In” in your child’s name and choose “Recreational membership”, which is free. Unless your child already has a Tennis BC or Tennis Canada account.
- The categories are:
- U8 – Red ball
- U10 – Orange ball
- U12 – Green dot
- U16 – Regular ball
- The cost is $35. Besides playing in the tournament, players will receive a memento from Tennis BC, a pizza lunch and medals for the top three players plus, of course, playing indoors.
- The categories are:
There will be two sets of lessons. Those prior to the Rogers Rookie Tour and those after.
Lessons prior to the Rogers Rookie Tour
It certainly is not necessary to take lessons to take part in the Rogers Rookie Tour and also, if players take these lessons, they do not have to take part in the Rogers Rookie Tour. Lessons will be offered on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They will be an hour in duration and will run from 4:00 to 5:00 and 5:00 to 6:00. The number of players in a group will be a maximum of four. The children must be at least 6 years of age to take part in these lessons.
- Monday lessons will be on March 23 and 30. (Cost $24)
- Tuesday lessons will be on March 24, 31 and April 14. (Cost $36)
- Wednesday lessons will be on March 25, April 1 and April 15 (Cost $36)
If you are interested in having your son/daughter take some lessons please let Graham know the day and time that works best for you. If possible, also let him know an alternate time. Once Graham has the registrations, he will set up a schedule. Payment can be made at the first lesson.
Lessons from April 20 to May 27
There will be a program of six lessons that will run on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Lessons will be a one-hour duration from 4:00 to 5:00 and 5:00 to 6:00. Lessons will commence on April 20 and conclude on May 25. Children need to be between the ages of 5 and 15.
- Cost: The program of 6 lessons will cost $72. Payment can be made at the first lesson.
- If you are interested in having your son/daughter take some lessons please let Graham know the day and time that works best for you. If possible, let him know an alternate time.
- Once he has the registrations, he will set up a schedule.
Age groups for the second set of lessons
The age groupings will be:
- 5 to 7 – Red ball – development of the basic fundamentals – ¼ court is used.
- 8 and 9 – Orange ball – An emphasis on fundamentals along with developing all strokes including serving – ½ court is used.
- 10 to 12 – Green ball – Consistency with all strokes and the development strategies – full court is used.
- 13 to 17 – Yellow ball – Consistency of strokes, rallying and strategies in both singles and doubles.The above age groupings are guidelines. Experienced players will have the opportunity to be advanced into a higher age group when they are ready with the goal of developing the skills and knowledge for playing competitive tennis. This would only be done after parental consultation.
For further information about the lesson schedule and registration please contact Graham Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org